When you or a loved one are involved in a car accident, the most important thing to do is get to safety and get medical care for any injuries. However, in the midst of scary and unexpected car accidents, many people may not know what other steps to take, or think about the long-term implications of the accident. It’s important to be aware of what steps should be taken after you and your loved ones’ immediate safety and medical needs have been addressed.
- Call 911: Call the police as soon as possible. The police can help facilitate your safety and medical care, and can file a report to initiate a record of the accident.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t think you have suffered injuries, or feel your injuries are minor, it is important to seek medical attention. Many people do not feel the full effects of their injuries upon impact, and your adrenaline can mask pain. In addition to ensuring your physical health is properly addressed, documenting your injuries is important if you need to pursue legal action.
- Obtain contact information: While most people know you should exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s), it is also important to gather contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos: If possible, you should take photos of the accident scene. If you need to pursue legal action, photos are helpful evidence to support your testimony and your case.
- Contacting your insurance company: While you should notify your insurance company of the accident, you should not admit fault, and only give the basic information necessary to open a claim. Keep in mind that anything you say to your adjustor or the other driver’s insurance company can be used against you in your case.
- Contact an attorney: If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, you should contact an attorney who regularly handles these cases as soon as possible.
We regularly represent injured persons in auto accident claims in Philadelphia, Delaware County, and the surrounding area. While nothing can completely erase the physical and emotional impacts of a car accident, our experienced attorneys can help when insurance companies refuse to fully compensate you for your suffering. If you have been injured in a car accident, call our office at 610-446-3457 to set up a consultation with our attorneys. We will explain the process, guide you, and fight to get you compensation for your injuries.